Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dear Dad: The Lake Story

Dear Dad,

I remember when I was thirteen, I was on the way to the Hulah lake. To go fishing with you one evening.  Rolling up in brief daylight, I could hear the wake washing up against the rocks.  In the corner of our eyes, we saw a father and child in a broken down car on the side of the road. They were living in it, but as we looked closer the man was beating his son.  You saw a gun flashing through the window and you immediately stopped the Trans Am. At this time, it was still in mint condition, only 35 thousand miles on it.  I remember because I had just waxed it for you.  At that time it was nearly 20 years old.  It was a thing of beauty.  I know you remember. 

But needless to say, without thinking twice.  You stopped the car.  Got out, and banged on the driver side window of the strangers car, with no weapon but your fist.  Even though the guy had a gun attached to his wrist. You damn near broke the window banging on it.  The guy finally got out of the car, and you grabbed him. Even though the guy outweighed you by nearly 100 pounds.  I remember you throwing him up against the car.  Grabbed the gun and told him, “I don’t ever want to see this again” then you through the gun down on the banks of the shore, where it landed in a rocky scenary.  The guy was petrified.  You had this look in your eyes, dad. I was afraid you were going to kill him so I yelled out dad, “come back” I was young, and frightened, but you had no fear what so ever.  You sacrificed your life to protect a child you had no connection with.

A lot of people don’t understand you, or even get along with you  because of the way you are.  But I will never forget this moment,  or ever judge you in a bad way.  You are the definition of a man.  To target the anger you had after your divorce and loss of your father, towards a proper cause.  It was amazing.  I remember you then shoving the man in the car. Told him “don’t let me catch you doing this again, I have your plate number.  I will find you, and I will kill you”  It was exactly like the scene from Taken. I kid you not.  Which just so happens to be one of your favorite movies.  Ironic isn't it?

Reminiscing on it now.  The man was a coward, And do I believe in murder? No, but to an extent.  I believe in an eye for an eye, and that man deserved to be put in his place.  And as much as my you wanted to kill him right there, you wouldn’t. because you knew the consequence and you knew how it would effect Cory and I.  I believe today dad, that you saved that kids life, and put the fear of some kind of god in the man that was doing such.  This all ties into the bullying today.  And you taught me to never put up with it.  You dont fuck with kids.  They’re precious, they’re innocent, they don’t know any better.  It’s called growing up for a reason.  We live and we learn, every single day of our lives. You taught me this.  You and mom.

But to get back on point…Dad…Thank you for that moment and memory.  I was 120 pounds at most at that time.  A little boy.  Now I’m a rock solid 177.  Only 5’9-5-10’.  I box everyday to control my anger, teaching myself by studying classic film in my 10 thousand fight collection.  By never missing a match on television.  By training my mind, by increasing my power, my speed, by increasing my will, and learning how to target fear.  I got this from you dad, and if I ever run across a similar situation, no gun, no knife, not anything, will stop me from saving a kids life.  Nothing.  I will forever follow in your footsteps.  No matter what comes my way, I will confront it with the right outlook, and for a positive cause.  Dad, this started off as a song in dedication of you, but it became much more than that. Now it's just a letter, a letter you may never read.  But that moment changed my life and inspired me to put myself in the position to where Im ready for war, Im ready to help, Im ready to save, at any given moment.  For awhile there, I couldn’t control the anger, but now im more dangerous than ever, in a good way, and for a better cause. 

Thanks Dad,

The Lake Story

No comments:

Post a Comment